- FDISK.EXE is a 16-bit DOS based command line driven tool, the “de facto” Microsoft partitioning utility, located in %winbootdir%\COMMAND (default is C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND) [Windows 95/98/ME, a.k.a. MS-DOS 7.00/7.10/8.00] or in the MS-DOS 6.00/6.20/6.21/6.22 directory (default is C:\DOS or C:\MSDOS).
Its purpose is to display boot, disk and partition information, modify existing partitions, create new ones and/or delete the ones you want on all installed fixed hard disk(s), but ONLY WITH COMPLETE DATA LOSS! 😦
Starting with Windows 95B OSR 2.0 FDISK has the capability of creating FAT32 partitions of minimum 512 MB on existent drive(s), and of converting your current FAT16 partitions to FAT32, but NOT the other way around WITHOUT COMPLETE DATA LOSS!
IMPORTANT: To become familiar with the FDISK.EXE command line switches (the documented ones anyway), run one of these commands from any DOS prompt:
to display the FDISK.EXE help screen.
Install fixed FDISK.EXE for Windows 98/98 SP1/98 SE(U) to properly detect hard disks larger than 64 GB [English patch].
- MS-DOS 5/6 + Windows 95/98/ME FDISK does NOT recognize hard disks larger than 137 GB (48-bit LBA function).
- Windows 98/98 SE/ME [MS-DOS 7.10/8.00] FDISK canNOT create partitions larger than 512 GB.
- MSKB: How to Use Fdisk and Format Tools to (Re)Partition a Hard Disk.
- Undocumented FDISK.
- FDISK Information.
- Detailed Notes on Microsoft FDISK.EXE.
- FDISK Undocumented Switches.
- FDISK: The Built In Partitioning Tool.
- FDISK Command.
- Radified FDISK Guide.
- Using FDISK.
- Hard Disk Partitioning.
- Hard Drive Data Recovery.
- FAT32 HARD DISK Backup and Repair.
- Another Windows 95B/95C OSR 2.x, 98 and ME FAT32 conversion DOS mode 16-bit tool comes also from Microsoft: CVT.EXE [62 KB, free, unsupported].
Newest and most compatible CVT.EXE is found on Windows ME setup CD.
CVT.EXE preserves disk data integrity. Requires to specify the drive letter to convert. Running CVT without command line parameters displays the help screen.
Windows 98/ME users can find CVT.EXE in %winbootdir%\COMMAND (usually C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND).
Run CVT.EXE from a floppy/CD/DVD boot disk or from a hard disk/partition other than the one you want to convert, because if the conversion ends with errors, data on respective disk will be lost.
The Win98/98 SE version of CVT.EXE may NOT work from native MS-DOS! In this case use the Windows GUI version (Cvt1.exe = see below).
The little known /CVT32 parameter works ONLY with the Win98/98 SP1/98 SE(U) version of CVT.EXE and allows FAT32 conversion in native MS-DOS mode. Example:
CVT.EXE D: /CVT32
This MS TechNet article details all available CVT.EXE parameters.
How to use the WinME version of CVT.EXE.
[Thank you ERPMan!]
You canNOT convert a FAT32 partition back to FAT16 using CVT.EXE!
CVT requires a minimum of 500 KB of free DOS memory. To avoid error messages like:
Not enough memory (system) resources
while running CVT, disable the loading of some of your DOS mode devices/TSRs, by adding REM in front of the respective lines in your CONFIG.SYS and/or AUTOEXEC.BAT, or use an upper memory manager (like MS EMM386.EXE or UMBPCI.SYS) to load them all “high”, in upper memory (UMA). Edit your startup files using EDIT.COM in DOS or Notepad/Sysedit in Windows. Reboot when done.
- Windows 98, 98 SE(U) and ME include a graphical FAT32 conversion tool (Cvt1.exe, located in %windir% = default is C:\WINDOWS), capable of converting your existing FAT16 partitions to FAT32 (528 MB minimum size), but NOT the other way around!
Cvt1.exe actually provides a front end GUI to running the CVT.EXE DOS mode tool (see above), also included with Win98/98 SE(U)/ME (in C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND), but adds extensive help to guide you through the entire process.
To access the FAT32 conversion tool: click the Start button → Programs → Accessories → System Tools → FAT32 Converter.
- To create FAT32 partitions smaller than 528 MB or to convert FAT16 partitions to FAT32 and BACK:
- WITH data loss: see the UNDOCUMENTED FDISK parameters below.
- WITHOUT data loss: get a 3rd party [free(ware)] utility like:
- Ranish Partition Manager v2.44 Beta 16-bit for DOS creates, deletes, resizes and formats FAT16/FAT32 hard disk partitions, includes Advanced Boot Manager:
Direct download [136 KB, postcardware].
- Partition Resizer v1.3.4 16-bit for DOS + Windows 9x/ME (re)partitions/resizes FAT16/FAT32 hard disk partitions up to 2 TB (TeraBytes) without data loss, supports advanced command line options:
Direct download [98 KB, freeware].
- Cute Partition Manager (CPM) v0.9.7 16-bit DOS based OS independent tool (re)partitions/deletes FAT16/FAT32 hard disk partitions up to 2 TB (TeraBytes) without data loss, supports advanced command line options:
Direct download [233 KB, freeware].
- FIPS v2.0 16-bit for DOS FAT32 dynamic nondestructive hard disk (re)partitioner [158 KB, free GPL].
- Free FDISK.EXE v1.3.1 16-bit [also part of FreeDOS] improved Microsoft FDISK.EXE replacement for DOS partitions/resizes hard disks up to 180 GB, supports MicrosoftFDISK undocumented parameters, FAT32 and non-DOS partitions, extended command line for batch disk cloning, highly customizable:
Direct download [189 KB, free GPL].
Courtesy of Brian, author of Free FDISK.
- XFDisk v0.9.3 Beta 16-bit for DOS, Windows 9x/NT/2000/ME/XP/2003, Linux + OS/2 partitions/resizes hard disks up to 1 TB, includes Boot Manager:
Direct download [41 KB, free GPL, English].
- GDISK.EXE 16-bit + GDISK32.EXE 32-bit improved Microsoft FDISK.EXE replacement for MS-DOS 5/6/7/8, Windows 9x/NT/2000/ME/XP/2003 + Unix/Linux creates/deletes, (un)hides and (un)formats hard disk partitions, supports FAT16, FAT32, NTFS + ext2:
- GDISK.EXE 16-bit for MS-DOS 5/6/7/8 [455 KB].
- GDISK32.EXE 32-bit for Windows 9x/NT/2000/ME/XP/2003 [616 KB].
- Super Fdisk v2.0 16-bit improved Microsoft native DOS FDISK.EXE replacement for MS-DOS 5/6/7/8, Windows 9x/NT/2000/ME/XP/2003 + Unix/Linux creates/deletes + (un)hides FAT16, FAT32, HPFS, NTFS, ext2 + ext3 hard disk partitions, formats FAT16 + FAT32 partitions, backs up/restores MBR, partition table, boot sector, creates bootable floppy/CD, easy to use Graphical User Interface (GUI), highly customizable (freeware):
- GParted (Gnome Partition Editor) v0.7.0-2 16-bit improved Microsoft native DOS FDISK.EXE replacement OS independent (Live CD/USB ISO image) for MS-DOS 5/6/7/8, Windows 9x/NT/2000/ME/XP/2003/Vista/2008/7, Mac OS + Unix/Linux creates, resizes, deletes + formats FAT16, FAT32, NTFS, HPFS, ext2, ext3 + ext4 (E)IDE/(P)ATA/SATA/RAID/SCSI hard disk partitions, highly customizable:
Direct download [119 MB, ISO image, free GPL].
Parted Magic Linux based OS Live CD-ROM/Live USB (free).
- TestDisk v6.12-WIP 32-bit + 64-bit for DOS, Windows 3.x/9x/NT/2000/ME/XP/2003/Vista/2008/7, Linux, BeOS, FreeBSD + NetWare checks + undeletes deleted/lost hard disk partitions + boot sectors (free GPL):
- TestDisk for DOS + Windows 3.x/9x/ME [854 KB].
- TestDisk for Windows NT/2000/XP/2003/Vista/2008/7 [1.78 MB].
- SwissKnife v3.22 32-bit for Windows 95B OSR 2.x/95C OSR 2.5/98/NT4/2000/ME/XP/2003 creates, deletes + formats fixed + removable hard disk partitions up to 2 TB without data loss, supports FAT16, FAT32 + NTFS, supports (E)IDE, SCSI, USB, Parallel, PCMCIA, IEEE 1394 (FireWire) + SATA disk controllers, highly customizable:
Direct download [4.34 MB, freeware].
- PartitionGuru Free v3.4.5 32-bit for Windows 2000/XP/2003/Vista/2008/7 creates, deletes + formats fixed + removable hard disk partitions up to 2 TB, supports FAT16, FAT32 + NTFS, highly customizable:
Direct download [5.65 MB, crippled freeware].
- Partition Magic v8.02 32-bit + 16-bit hard disk partitioning + data management tool for Windows 9x/NT/2000/ME/XP/2003, MS-DOS 5/6/7/8, OS/2 + Linux creates, deletes, copies, moves, resizes, copies, merges, formats, converts, restores “on-the-fly” ANY hard disk partitions up to 196 GB without data loss, supports: FAT16 [Win9x/NT/2000/ME/XP/2003 + DOS], FAT32 [Win98/OSR2/2000/ME/XP/2003/Vista/2008/7], NTFS [WinNT/2000/XP/2003/Vista/2008/7], HPFS [OS/2] + ext2/ext3 [Linux], includes PQ Boot Manager, highly customizable [22.6 MB, retail demo!].
- Partition Logic v0.69 16-bit DOS based OS independent hard disk partitioning + data management tool bootable CD-ROM ISO/floppy IMG based on Visopsys OS creates, deletes, copies, moves, resizes, copies, merges, formats, converts ANY hard disk partitions without data loss, supports: FAT16 [Win9x/NT/2000/ME/XP/2003 + DOS], FAT32 [Win98/OSR2/2000/ME/XP/2003/Vista/2008/7], NTFS [WinNT/2000/XP/2003/Vista/2008/7] + ext2 [Linux], highly customizable (free GPL):
- Symantec (PowerQuest) Partition Table + Boot Record Info + Editing tools 16 + 32 bit (free):
- PartInfo (PARTINFO.EXE) 16-bit for MS-DOS 5/6 [117 KB].
- PartInfo (PARTIN9X.EXE) 32-bit for Windows 9x/ME [346 KB].
- PartInfo (PARTINNT.EXE) 32-bit for Windows NT/2000/XP [350 KB].
- PartEdit (PTEDIT.EXE) 16-bit for MS-DOS 5/6 [398 KB].
- PartEdit (PTEDIT32.EXE) 32-bit for Windows 9x/NT/2000/ME/XP [174 KB].
- Partition Wizard Home Edition v5.2 32-bit for Windows XP/2003/Vista/2008/7 hard disk partitioning + data management tool creates, deletes, (un)hides, converts + formats hard disk partitions larger than 2 TB without data loss, supports: FAT16, FAT32 + NTFS:
Direct download [7.86 MB, crippled freeware].
- EASEUS Partition Master Home Edition v5.8.1 32-bit for Windows 2000/XP/2003/Vista/2008/7 hard disk partitioning + data management tool creates, deletes, moves, resizes, (un)hides + formats up to 2 TB hard disk partitions without data loss, supports: FAT16, FAT32 + NTFS:
Direct download [11.1 MB, crippled freeware].
- EASEUS Data Recovery Wizard Free Edition v5.0.1 32-bit for Windows 2000/XP/2003/Vista/2008/7 undeletes any type of deleted files from most fixed + removable disks:
Direct download [5.91 MB, crippled freeware].
- EASEUS Disk Copy v2.3 32-bit for Windows 2000/XP/2003/Vista/2008/7 creates exact mirror image (sector-by-sector backup copy) of hard disk/partition contents, Operating System + File System independent:
Direct download [31.1 MB, CD-ROM ISO, freeware].
- BootPart v2.60 32-bit for Windows NT/2000/XP/2003 adds extra/hidden OS/2 + Linux partitions to the Boot Menu by creating boot sector files in C:\ root which MUST be FAT16:
Direct download [26 KB, freeware, English].
- Partition Saving v3.80 16-bit partition copy/save/restore tool for DOS + Linux, saves entire partitions as files provided enough free space, supports FAT16, FAT32, NTFS, ext2 + ext3, highly customizable:
Direct download [1.34 MB, freeware, English].
- Partition Rescue v1.0 32-bit partition save/restore tool for Windows NT4/2000/XP/2003:
Direct download [90 KB, freeware, right-click to save!].
- Microsoft DelPart 16-bit [part of Windows NT 3.1 Resource Kit (RK)] for Windows NT/2000/XP/2003 + DOS deletes (hidden) NTFS drives/partitions:
Direct download [4 MB, free].
- MBRWizard v2.0b 16-bit, 32-bit + 64-bit command line management tool for Windows 9x/NT4/2000/ME/XP/2003 + MS-DOS 5/6/7/8 creates, saves, restores, fixes + deletes MBR/EMBR and hides/unhides, changes type, sets bootable/active + deletes partitions (freeware for personal use):
- MBRWiz 64-bit for Windows XP/2003 64-bit (x64) [97 KB].
- MBRWiz 32-bit for Windows NT4/2000/XP/2003 32-bit (x86) [73 KB].
- MBRWiz 16-bit for Windows 95/98/ME + MS-DOS 5/6/7/8 [53 KB].
- MBRWork v1.08 16-bit MBR/EMBR save/restore tool for MS-DOS 5/6/7/8 + Windows 3.1x/9x/ME:
Direct download [16 KB, freeware].
- SRC Tools R5 16-bit boot/MBR/FAT16/FAT32 save/restore tools for MS-DOS 5/6/7/8 + Windows 9x/ME [9 KB, freeware].
- EasyBCD v2.0.2 32-bit Boot Configuration Data (BCD) tweaking tool for Windows XP/2003/Vista/2008/7 creates, saves, restores, fixes, deletes + tweaks MBR/EMBR/BCD, enables multi-boot with Windows 3.1x/9x/NT4/2000/ME/XP/2003/Vista/2008/7, MS-DOS 5/6/7/8, Linux/FreeBSD, MacOS X, Solaris, OS/2, highly customizable:
Direct download [1.31 MB, freeware].
- See also “FREE Windows 9x/NT/2000/ME/XP/2003/Vista/2008/7 Boot Tweakers” for more similar tools.
- Undelete Plus v2.94 32-bit for Windows 9x/NT4/2000/ME/XP/2003/Vista/2008 recovers deleted files, supports hard, floppy + USB drives/partitions, FAT16, FAT32 + NTFS, highly customizable:
Direct download [1.1 MB, last freeware version!].
Undelete Plus Online HTML Help.
- Deleted File Analysis v2.5 32-bit for Windows NT4/2000/XP/2003 lists all deleted files not completely overwritten on all local hard drives/partitions [799 KB, freeware].
- FreeUndelete v2.0 32-bit for Windows NT4 SP2/2000/XP/2003/Vista/2008/7 deleted files data recovery tool, supports FAT16, FAT32 + NTFS:
Direct download [720 KB, freeware].
- Recuva v1.37.488 32-bit for Windows 2000/XP/2003/Vista/2008/7 deleted files data recovery tool, supports FAT16, FAT32 + NTFS:
Direct download [3.59 MB, freeware].
- Fat32Format v1.05 32-bit FAT32 format DOS box/console command line tool for Windows NT4/2000/XP/2003/Vista/2008/7, supports PATA [(E)IDE/ATA/(U)DMA], SATA, eSATA, USB + Firewire hard disks up to 2 TB, highly customizable:
Direct download [23 KB, free GPL].
Fat32Format stand alone Windows GUI interface v1.01 32-bit:
Direct download [72 KB, free GPL].
- DR FORMAT (FORMAT.EXE) v1.0 16-bit improved Microsoft FORMAT.COM replacement for MS-DOS 5/6/7/8 + Windows 3.1x/9x/ME creates/deletes, (un)hides and (un)formats hard disk partitions, supports FAT12, FAT16 + FAT32, highly customizable:
Direct download [64 KB, free open source].
- FORMAT.EXE v0.91v 16-bit [also part of FreeDOS] improved Microsoft FORMAT.COM replacement for MS-DOS 5/6/7/8 + Windows 3.1x/9x/ME [142 KB, free GPL].
- FORMAT.COM v0.91 16-bit improved Microsoft FORMAT.COM replacement for MS-DOS 5/6 + Windows 3.1x/9x/ME [86 KB, free GPL].
- HDAT2 v4.7.1 16-bit for native DOS comprehensive test, diagnostics + repair tool for PATA [ATA(PI), (E)IDE, (U)DMA], SATA, SCSI, RAID + USB drives: can run from bootable floppy/CD/DVD, drive + file level testing etc, highly customizable:
Direct download [1.48 MB, freeware].
- DRVEXCH.COM v0.4.2 16-bit TSR for MS-DOS 5/6/7/8 + Windows/WfWG 3.1x/9x/ME reassigns/swaps drive/partition letters according to physical hard disk numbers [14 KB, free GPL].
- Drive Rescue v1.9d 32-bit [discontinued!] for Windows 9x/NT4/2000/ME/XP/2003 hard drive data recovery tool and disk editor, supports FAT16, FAT32 + NTFS, highly customizable:
Direct download [985 KB, freeware].
Recovery Tips DOC [100 KB, free].
- PC Inspector File Recovery v4.0 32-bit for Windows 9x/NT4/2000/ME/XP/2003 data recovery tool supports FAT12/16/32 + NTFS, finds FAT (not NTFS) partitions automatically even if boot sector or FAT erased/damaged, recovers files with original time/date stamp, supports saving recovered files on network drives, recovers files even if header entry not available, includes Special Recovery Function for many file types, highly customizable:
Direct download [5.83 MB, freeware].
- Restoration v3.2.13 32-bit for Windows 9x/NT4/2000/ME/XP/2003 restores deleted files even if removed from Recycle Bin, supports FAT16, FAT32, NTFS, highly customizable [164 KB, freeware].
- HDCopy v2.104 16-bit DOS tool for Windows 9x/ME copies entire fixed drive/partition to any other available FAT16/FAT32 formatted fixed drive/partition only if target drive equal to or larger than source drive:
Direct download [121 KB, freeware].
- HDHacker v1.4 32-bit for Windows NT4/2000/XP/2003/Vista/2008/7 displays, saves + restores MBR (physical drive), Boot Sector (logical drive/partition) + desired disk sector(s) (fixed + removable drives):
Direct download [36 KB, freeware].
- Ontrack Data Advisor v5.0 16-bit DOS hard disk low level FAT16/FAT32 (not NTFS) diagnostic and recovery tool for MS-DOS 5/6/7/8 + Windows 3.x/9x/NT/2000/ME/XP/2003:
Direct download [1.9 MB, crippled freeware].
- Disk Investigator v1.2 32-bit for Windows 9x/NT4/2000/ME/XP/2003 displays all hidden hard disk info by bypassing the OS: true contents, raw sectors, directories, files, clusters + system sectors, undeletes previously deleted files, highly customizable:
Direct download [535 KB, freeware].
- Stats 2000 v1.8 32-bit for Windows 9x/NT4/2000/ME/XP/2003 displays detailed hard disk statistics in 3D graphical format, highly customizable:
Direct download [772 KB, freeware].
- EyeDrives v3.4 32-bit for Windows 9x/NT4/2000/ME/XP/2003 displays free, used + total disk space on all installed floppy, hard, CD/DVD, optical, removable, backup, network etc drives/partitions, memory and resource usage:
Direct download [1.12 MB, freeware].
- Drive Scanner v2.6 32-bit for Windows 9x/NT4/2000/ME/XP/2003 displays files + directories usage on all installed floppy, hard, CD/DVD, optical, removable, backup, network etc drives/partitions in a pie chart:
Direct download [162 KB, freeware].
- Ranish Partition Manager v2.44 Beta 16-bit for DOS creates, deletes, resizes and formats FAT16/FAT32 hard disk partitions, includes Advanced Boot Manager:
- HDClone Free Edition v3.9.5 16-bit for Windows 3.x/9x/NT/2000/ME/XP/2003/Vista/2008/7, MS-DOS 5/6/7/8 + Linux/Unix duplicates entire HD contents to another (which must be of equal or larger capacity) at physical level, includes HotCopy + proprietary Sphere SP Operating System, works independent of existing OS(es), fits on a floppy:
Direct download [21.8 MB, crippled freeware].
Requires (E)IDE (PATA)/SATA/SCSI Hard Disk Controller + bootable floppy/CD/DVD drive.
- Paragon Backup & Recovery Free Edition (PBRFE) v10.1 32-bit + 64-bit for Windows 2000 SP4/XP/2003/Vista/2008/7 includes: cyclic, disk + differential backup, disk + shrink restore, bootable CD/DVD/USB recovery disk, Recovery Media Builder, Check Recovery Discs, partitioning tools, highly customizable (crippled freeware for non-commercial use only):
- SyncBack v3.2.10 32-bit for Windows 98 SE/NT4/2000/ME/XP/2003 backup + synchronization tool: backs up + restores disks, folders and/or files to same or different/removable media, supports CD-R(W), DVD-R(W), CompactFlash, Zip archive, FTP server + Network, highly customizable:
Direct download [1.68 MB, crippled freeware].
- Backup4All v1.3.0 32-bit [discontinued!] for Windows 9x/NT4/2000/ME/XP/2003 disk + file backup + restore tools: Backup Wizard, Backup Scheduler, multiple file filter sets, incremental backups, multiple scheduled backups, customizable ZIP compression levels, customizable restores also supported by standard unzipping tools, supports all local and mapped network drive letters, UNC paths and removable media, CD-R(W)/DVD-R(W) etc, highly customizable:
Direct download [2.08 MB, freeware].
- Cobian Backup 32-bit for Windows 9x/2000/ME/XP/2003/Vista/2008/7 multi-threaded backup tool: backup scheduler, backup file sets, integrated ZIP compression, multilanguage support, password protection, supports all local and mapped network drive letters, UNC paths, removable media and FTP, runs as app or service (Win2000/XP/2003/Vista/2008/7 only), highly customizable (freeware):
- ImageMaker v1.1 32-bit for Windows 9x/NT4/2000/ME/XP/2003 backs up/restores hard drives/partitions by creating disk images independent of file system/OS, target drive must be equal to or larger than source drive, includes Disk Management Control Panel applet, highly customizable [485 KB, freeware].
- Replicator v3.6.8 32-bit for Windows 9x/NT4/2000/ME/XP/2003/Vista/2008/7 automatically/periodically backs up local/remote/network files, directories and/or drives/partitions, highly customizable:
Direct download [1.93 MB, freeware].
- DriveImage XML (DiX) Private Edition v2.14 logical drives + partitions image + backup tool for Windows XP/2003/Vista/2008/7: Backup, Browse, Restore + Copy functions, uses Microsoft Volume Shadow Services (VSS), supports FAT12, FAT16, FAT32 + NTFS:
Direct download [1.78 MB, crippled freeware].
- Enhanced Windows Backup (EWB) v1.1 32-bit for Windows 2000/XP/2003 improved Windows Backup (NTBACKUP.EXE) tool: core backup, Volume Shadow Copy, Active Directory backup, Live Registry backup, multiple concurrent backups, scheduling + background backups, highly customizable:
Direct download [1.15 MB, MUST register! freeware].
Registration form (enter serial number to receive activation code in e-mail!).
Requires (free): Windows XP Backup Made Easy.
- Hard Disk + Files Backup/Restore + Image/Cloning Tools [free(ware)]:
- HDD diagnostics and recovery software [free(ware)].
- Recover CHK files tools (free GPL).
- Tools and References for MBR and OS Boot Records.
- Free(ware) Data Recovery, File/Partition Recovery, Undelete/Unformat tools.
Direct download [8.8 MB, free GPL].
IMPORTANT: Run ANY DOS based partitioning/formatting tool ONLY from the native/real/true/pure MS-DOS mode OUTSIDE Windows GUI, NOT from a DOS box/session/window INSIDE Windows, even full screen!
- Partition Logic (free GPL).
- Partition Magic.
- Partition Commander (includes System Commander Personal Edition).
- Partition Master.
FAT32/FAT32X partitions are NOT compatible with Microsoft DrvSpace/DblSpace compression scheme! The ONLY disk compression tool that recognizes (but does NOT compress) FAT32/FAT32X partitions/disks is included on the Windows 98/ME Setup CD-ROMs!
So far there is NO disk compression scheme (software) able to compress/double FAT32/FAT32X partitions.
UPDATE: “Thanks for the FAT32 analysis – very comprehensive and understandable. I have only one suggestion:
You might consider a mention of users with Compressed Hard Drives who cannot use FAT32 and for whom Partition Magic is of little use. Of course, this applies to older machines with their small hard drives, but I read that the average age of PCs in use is about 3 years with many machines well past the 5 year mark. Many of these probably can’t or don’t run Win9x for various reasons, but for those that do, the substitute to FAT32 is DriveSpace which comes with Microsoft Plus! for Win95 [the Desktop Themes and Pinball game are just space wasting fluff to those with small hard drives]. As a result of using DriveSpace [on a 250 MB hard drive] the cluster size on C: is 8,192 bytes and on H: [the C: Host drive] is 4,096 bytes. The other caveat: minimize cluster waste by deleting unused files, zip several files together if appropriate and send files/programs off to portable drives if possible. If stuck with a small hard drive, apply a “worthy to keep” test to every file that is added.”
[Thank you Ojatex!]
– Source: http://www.mdgx.com/